The following is my Preschool and Pre-Kindergarten English and Language Arts curriculum. As time goes on I will continue to add project ideas that correspond with each unit. You can also find project ideas for these units on my Pinterest boards.
Alphabet Unit – Letter recognition, and knowing the sounds that the letters make
- Letter Puzzles from Story Time Katie
- Masking Tape Letters from Art Projects for Kids
- Easy Name Puzzle from Happy Hooligans
- Now I Know My ABCs – Alphabet Crafts from Totally Tots
- Ways to Teach Letter Recognition – From Tot School
- Flashcard Hide and Seek – from True Aim Education
Vocabulary Unit – Building a larger vocabulary
- This is something your child will achieve through exposure to new material.
- Talk to your child like you would an adult. If they don’t understand a word take the time to explain it’s meaning. Do not “dumb down” your speech or vocabulary for them. It is important that they are constantly being exposed to new words.
- Ask your child questions at the end of books.
- Ask your child if they understand the directions given and have them walk you back through the steps.
- Have them draw pictures of thing that you have read to them.
- Have your child act out stories with puppets.
- Read your child simple poetry and have them repeat it back.
- Take pictures of your child completing a process – getting dressed, getting ready for bed, getting ready to go out, cooking something simple, etc. Print and laminate the pictures. Then have your child put the picture cards in order.
- Make laminated images cards for a nursery rhyme or story that your child is familiar with, then have them put it in order.
- 18 Ways to Teach Your Preschooler to Write from Preschool Mama
- Teaching a Child to Hold a Pencil from Rocks in My Dryer
** To form my preschool/pre-kindergarten curriculum outline I searched other curriculums to see what information they were covering. I also used the book “What Your Preschooler Should Know.” Finally, I added any subjects in which my son has shown interest. From there I searched for fun projects and educational activities that would teach the information for these units. If you have any questions about the information covered here please let me know **