The following is my Kindergarten History and Geography Curriculum. As time goes on I will continue to add projects that correspond with these units. You can also find projects on my pinterest boards.
Geography Unit – Introduction to the 50 states, oceans and continents. Introduction to maps and how to use/read them.
- Kid Friendly Geography Lessons from Mama Smiles
- Printable Map of the USA from Mr Printables
- Felt Continent Map from Living Montessori Now
- Geography Coloring Pages (States, Flags of the World, Etc) from Crayola
- 30 Fun Geography Activities for Kids from Imagination Soup
- DIY Map Magnets from Natalme
- World Maps – Geography Online Games from Sheppard Software
Native American Unit – Pocahontas and Powhatan and their way of living.
Exploration Unit – Christopher Columbus and his travels
Pilgrims Unit – Learning about their way of life
President Unit – Introduction to several presidents – George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Theodore Roosevelt
Holiday Unit – Meaning and story behind: Thanksgiving, Martin Luther King Day, Presidents Day, Independence Day,
** When making my kindergarten curriculum I started with Virginia’s Standards of Learning. While I am not a fan of the SOL tests I do not have a problem with the information that is covered. I felt using the information covered in the SOLs as a baseline for my curriculum would ensure my children were learning the same subject matter as their peers. I wanted to go beyond that though. I built up my curriculum by adding information from other online curriculums, and my sons interests. **